Many people find the idea of working overseas an attractive one. Some will look to do this for a short while whilst others will look to relocate to another country completely. Bear in mind that you can work in certain overseas countries for specific periods without a visa or work permit but in others you may find it harder to get permission to work there.
People look to work overseas on a temporary basis for various reasons. Popular reasons here include:
- To earn money while backpacking or during a summer college break.
- To learn a new language and culture.
- To get practical experience of a language you are learning.
- As a secondment from your company to an overseas office.
- As part of a voluntary or charitable scheme.
It is important to think about the whole ‘package’ when you think about working overseas. You will not only need to check what you have to do to get permission to work in a different country but you will also have to think about finding somewhere to live. Although English is widely spoken in many countries around the world you cannot assume that all locals will be able to speak to you in your own language and it is therefore important to make sure that you make an effort to learn some language basics before you go to any country to work overseas.